Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Reflecting on Nola

This trip was truly enlightening. I was never aware of the inequities of urban education. The school facility itself, was a work in progress and was lacking in some of the most essential supplies. I am truly glad that we as a group were able to go down and help these people. The school immediately welcomed us and shared their dedication to learning and to their students. They paid attention to even the smallest of details for their students (washing all the windows so the students have a clean environment in which to work). The people in the neighborhood were extremely happy to have us there and gave us a friendly greeting each morning. I feel this trip has allowed me to grow professionally by seeing all the different ways to set up classrooms and explore different educational and school philosophies. The trip has also helped me grow personally by learning to work as a team member with people from all different backgrounds. I look forward to returning on next year’s team with new ideas and ways to help.

No comments: